So apparently I didn’t do this in 2014 (LAZZYYYYY), but I wanted to do one this year because it’s about books, and things about books are the best things. I’ve split the survey into two posts because there are A LOT of questions, and I didn’t want to bore you all. So, part two will be up soon, and here’s part one for now.
Let’s get answerin’! (Also, this survey is Jamie’s!)
Number of books you read: 135! (Two were DNFs @ 50%, so technically 134 books)
Number of re-reads: One! Ignite by Erica Crouch.
Genre you read the most from: Speculative fiction, for sure! But there was a growth in my contemporary reads, so that was good :D
1. Best book you read in 2015?
Honourable mentions to Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas, Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli, The Marvels by Brian Selznick, and Falling From The Sky by Nikki Godwin.
2. Book you were excited about & thought you were going to love more but didn’t?
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book of 2015?
The Marvels by Brian Selznick! I wasn’t expecting anything from this book, really, and it turned out to be one of this year’s absolute favourites!
4. Book you pushed the most people to read (and they did)?
I pushed Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda on a lot of people, as well as Captive Prince!
5. Best series you started in 2015? Best sequel of 2015? Best series ender of 2015?
Best series I started: The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater/Captive Prince by C.S. Pacat
Best Sequel of 2015: Princes Gambit by C.S. Pacat/Incite by Erica Crouch/Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas
Best Series Ender: Infinite by Erica Crouch
6. Favourite new author you discovered in 2015?
C.S. Pacat, and Becky Albertalli for sure. I love both of these authors as writers and people <3
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
I don’t read a lot of middle grade fiction, but I did read one this year – The Honest Truth by Dan Gemeinhart, and it was absolutely lovely.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book in 2015?
Hmmm. I think that Captive Prince and Princes Gambit fit into each of these three categories the best.
9. Book you read in 2015 that you are most likely to reread next year?
The three books in The Raven Cycle. The two books in the Captive Prince trilogy. Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda.
10. Favourite cover of a book you read in 2015?
This is actually really difficult, but I think I’m going to have to go with The Diviners by Libba Bray! So freaking beautiful what even.
11. Most memorable character of 2015?
12. Most beautifully written book in 2015?
This one goes to I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson. So incredibly beautiful – every word.
13. Most thought-provoking/life-changing book of 2015?
I don’t know if I had a life changing book of 2015, but a very thought provoking one was None of the Above by I.W. Gregorio, because I had a lot of thoughts about how horribly unaccepting people are.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited until 2015 to finally read?
Definitely The Raven Boys! What WAS I THINKING, waiting so long? :O
15. Favourite passage/quote from a book you read in 2015?
I have to pick two because they’re so perfect and I cannot choose.
“Meeting your soul mate is like walking into a house you’ve been in before – you will recognize the furniture, the pictures on the wall, the books on the shelves, the contents of drawers: You could find your way around in the dark if you had to.”
– Jandy Nelson, I’ll Give You the Sun
“A kingdom, or this.”
– C.S. Pacat, Princes Gambit
16. Shortest and longest book you read in 2015?
Shortest: The Recovery by Suzanne Young
Longest: City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare
17. Book that shocked you the most?
I really don’t have a book that shocked me… I mean, there were books that shocked me because they were so bad or so good, but no actual shocking books. If that makes any sense at all XD
18. OTP of the year?
Definitely a tie between Ronan and Adam in The Raven Cycle or Laurent and Damen from Captive Prince. (And also Azael and myself ;))
19. Favourite non-romantic relationship of the year?
Hmm. I really love the camaraderie between Gansey and his boys (and Blue) in The Raven Cycle, as well as Evie and everyone in The Diviners. FRIENDSHIP GOALS.
20. Favourite book you read in 2015 from an author you’ve read previously?
Incite by Erica Crouch.
21. Best book in 2015 that you read based solely on a recommendation from somebody else/peer pressure?
I read Falling From The Sky because I saw a blogger tweet about how much they loved it! And I read I’ll Give You The Sun because EVERYONE adored it.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2015?
Azael. I wasn’t in love with him last year, and look where I am now *nervous laughter*
23. Best 2015 debut you read?
This one definitely goes to Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda! Cutest book in the world.
24. Best world building/most vivid setting you read this year?
The Diviners and Lair of Dreams by Libba Bray. I seriously feel like I am in the 1920s when I read those books!
25. Book that put a smile on your face/was the most fun to read?
Falling From The Sky made me SMILE SO MUCH because it’s adorable in every way.
26. Book that made you cry or nearly cry in 2015?
One book made me cry this year, and it was The Marvels by Brian Selznick because it’s BEAUTIFUL, OKAY?
27. Hidden gem of the year?
I read a book called Thin Space by Jody Casella this year, and it was actually quite incredibly awesome. I have never really seen it around, and I think it deserves more love!
28. Book that crushed your soul?
Yeah, I’m going to go with The Marvels again because I just got all the feels from that book and it’s now one of my all time favourites. READ, READ IT NOW.
29. Most unique book you read in 2015?
There were some very unique books I read this year, but I’m going to go with A History of Glitter and Blood by Hannah Moskowitz because literally everything about that book is unique.
30. Book that made you the most mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
CUT BOTH WAYS. OH, WAS I AN ANGRY MUFFIN WHEN I FINISHED THAT BOOK. JAYSUS. SO MUCH ANGER.
So, these are my answers! What are yours?