My lovely writerly critique partner Romi tagged me for two tags. The first is A Writer’s Life for Me tag! And here we go:
1. What kind of a writer are you?
I identify as an LGBTQIA+ writer, with a strong contemporary influence. I do have a few non-contemporary ideas in my head, but for now, contemporary is my jam.
2. When did you start writing?
My first writing memory is when I rewrote my favourite picture book, word for word, but with different names (I was about eight years old). But I’ve been writing for a pretty long time. I think the first writerly thing I was ever really proud of was when I wrote a story about my family friend’s Alaskan Malamute, Khan. I adored that story, and I guess I was about ten years old.
3. What inspires your stories?
Oh, this is actually a really hard question to answer, because my stories just come to me. They jump inside my head, and bang pots and pans until they’re out on a page. But certain scenes and people can be inspired by my own life.
4. What themes do you like to explore in your writing?
The main theme you will always find in my books is love. Familial, friendship, romantic. Love is something that I will always write about, because it’s so dynamic. Acceptance is also something that comes into my writing a lot.
5. Are you a pantser or a plotter or a bit of both?
I used to be an exclusive pantser (for those who don’t know … panster is when you don’t plan or plot your novel at all), but that didn’t really work for me. But I’m definitely not a big plotter, either. What I do is I write down a skeleton of my novel with the main things and scenes that I know I want to happen, and then I fill in the other bits as I write.
6. Where are you in your journey? (Querying, agented, published.)
Well, I think you’d all know from excessive excitement if I was agented or published, so it’s clear that I am neither of those. I am currently querying! Which I haven’t told many people, so there you go :D
7. Have you ever entered any writing competitions?
Yes. Won any? No.
8. Who are your writer heroes?
To be honest, I’m not entirely sure I have any! I mean, there are authors I love, and look up to, and aspire to be like … so I guess you could call them my writer heroes. I just love authors who aren’t afraid to break the mold.
9. Have you been to a writer’s conference?
10. Three tips you’d give to newbie writers.
- Keep going. Even if you end up hating your first story or book or whatever – KEEP GOING. That first one might not have been the one for you.
- Don’t box yourself in. Don’t think that you have to write anything. Write whatever is in your heart.
- Read. I don’t think anyone can write without reading.
Okay, so now there’s the Secret Life of a Book Blogger tag! Because you haven’t read enough about me, obviously.
1. How long have you been a blogger?
Two and a half years coming up on December 3rd!
2. At which point do you think you’ll stop blogging?
I don’t intend to stop blogging in the future … so: never?
3. What is the best thing about the community?
The support. Hands down. Whenever I need it, you guys are always there.
4. What is the worst thing? And what do you do to make it okay?
The worst thing would probably be finding time to blog. Which affects the community because I want to visit everyone’s blogs and leave love, and I can’t do that all the time. To make it okay I guess I do the best I can with what time I have.
5. How long does it take you to create/find pictures to use?
Well, book covers are just from Goodreads, GIFs can take a little longer because sourcing, and when I make my own banners it takes a while because I want to be happy with them.
6. Who is your book crush?
A Z A E L
7. Which author would you like to have on your blog?
Becky Albertalli <3
8. What do you wear when you write your blog posts?
Well, I wear pyjamas whenever I am inside my house.
9. How long does it take you to prepare?
Prepare my pyjamas? Zilcho supremo. My blog posts? A bit longer.
10. How do you feel about the book blogging community?
Me likey. <3 It’s a pretty fabulous place that I never knew existed until I stepped virtual foot in it, and I am so glad I did because it’s amazing.
I don’t know who to tag because I feel like I’ve tagged everyone in some tag or another, so feel free to do this if it tickles your fancy!